We are in the middle of Family Month at church. Yesterday, I taught on preventing attacks. Here is a list of "deliberate decisions" (See Daniel 1 8-16) that I shared. This list represents only a sampling of items I have discussed with others over the last month or so. Here is the point, "Protecting our Families Requires Deliberate Decisions."
- Eat Dinner as a family every night at the table.
- No TV During Dinner
- Vigorously Filter Media Consumption- For Self and Children. Only allow what is uplifting
- Bed Time Routine - For Children, and Adults!
- Simplify- We are too busy. Don't feel the need to be involved in everything. One extra curricular activity for children is fine.
- Use Scripture Daily- Somehow, integrate scripture into your daily routine as a family. Verse at dinner. Memorization, etc...
- Communicate with Kids- Take son/daughter out at regular intervals. Breakfast every other month?
- Never miss church. There should never be a morning we decide to not go to church because we are tired.
- Devotions- For self and as a family. Start with the family once a week.
- Filter Friendships- Who is influencing who? We are free to disallow relationships with certain individuals to protect ourselves and our kids.
- Christian School- Some feel strongly on both sides here. I don't think all believer's should exit the public system, but it needs to be considered nonetheless.
- Wife home with Kids
- Limit Overtime at Work- If we want to influence our families, we have to be there. Overtime for a season is understood, but caution is necessary.
- Regular Date Night with spouse. Monthly? Nothing gets in the way of this sacred evening.
- Regular Family Night- Nothing gets in the way of this sacred evening.
- Only be refreshed physically and emotionally from spouse. Proverbs 5. If you find yourself desiring to be refreshed elsewhere, than it is time to make some serious changes.
- Accountability Group- This might look different for the genders, but a regular diet of intense accountability is necessary.
- Regularly Serve the Lord- If you don't have time, you are too busy.
What other ideas do you have.