Wednesday, October 13, 2010

First Week of Haitian School Down…

Drew and Tessa are into their second week now of school in Haiti.  I’ve been referring to it as “phase 2” in our adjustment period.  I anticipated a difficult time, especially for Tessa.  And she did cry the first few days, but I am amazed how good they are doing already! I know that doesn’t mean we won’t have ups and downs, but I feel like the hardest part is over.

Here are pics from the first day


Tessa wanted to strike a pose and Drew wanted to be all formal with his hand on Tessa’s shoulder.  It was pretty sweet.  He was taking his big brother role seriously that day.






They were both pretty excited to wear their uniforms.  I have to admit, I think they are pretty cute.  Especially Tessa’s with all those pleats and the cute little apron.  Someone commented that they look like little Disney World employees in training.  I would have to agree!



The kids’ “Haitian School Bus”.  The school is a few miles away.  We both took them the first day.  Most days I take them both on the 4-wheeler.  We were late the second day because I couldn’t get it to start and couldn’t get a hold of Rob who was already at the office.  We started walking and ran into another missionary who offered us a ride. 

School Bus

School Bus

The kids with their friend, Ellie, outside of their school, Kindergarten Lumiere.  The school is the Haitian equivalent of K-3, K-4 and Kindergarten.  Drew and Ellie are in Kindergarten, although in different classes and Tessa is in K-4.  Remember, there is no English spoken here!  What the kids are taught is mostly in French, but the teacher and their classmates speak Creole.

Drew, Tessa and Friend Ellie

The kids start out the morning assembled in the courtyard.  They sing the Haitian national anthem and some other songs or recitations, then march up to class.  Drew had the wrong hand on his heart for the anthem, and the little girl in front of him gently guided his hand down and put the other one up.  It was a sweet gesture. I told Drew he could smile, that he didn’t have to look so serious and he told me, “But Mommy, I have to be serious, I have a lot to learn!”

I told Drew tonight he didn't need to look so serious at school, he can smile some.  He said, "But Mommy, I have to be serious, I have a lot to learn."

Tessa in her assembly line right before she started sobbing.  Rob went and stood over by her and walked her to her class.  She pretty much sobbed for 45 minutes.  I was wondering when he was going to inch his way out of her class, so when I went up, he hadn’t even started trying.  Poor Rob was so heartbroken, he didn’t know how to even try to leave his little girl.  We switched places and I moved to the door and then out the door in 15 minutes.  She was sobbing, “Mommy come back!” It was so sad.  BUT, I waited outside her door and within 2 or 3 minutes she stopped crying. 


When we picked her up she was smiling and said, “Mommy, I didn’t cry at all after you left!”  By Friday there were no tears.  I was concerned that after the weekend off she would have a hard time returning Monday, but that was not the case.  She seems to be liking it and points out all her “friends” to me as we arrive and leave school each day.

Both kids are doing really well!  We appreciate your continued prayers for them.  Pray that they make friends and learn the language well.  Pray that it is a positive experience for them overall.


Post a Comment